The Central Electricity Authority (Measures relating to Safety and Electric Supply) Regulations, 2010 provides for:
- Certification of all HT installations by Electrical Inspector-
All new HT installations are to be inspected & certified by the Departmental Electrical Inspector before getting energized. The electric supply company extends the power supply only after clearance from the Electrical Inspector (Rule-43)
- Regular inspection of existing Electrical installation at intervals not exceeding five Years (Rule-30)
- Installation and testing of generating stations –no consumer or occupier shall commission his generating plant (DG set) without the approval of the inspector in writing (Rule – 32).
Further, as per Qualifications, Powers and Functions of Chief Electrical Inspector and Electrical Inspectors Rules, 2006 (G.S.R. 481(E)), No person shall be appointed to be an Electrical Inspector, unless-
- he possesses a degree in Electrical Engineering or its equivalent from a recognized University or Institution; and
- ii. he has been regularly engaged for a period of at least ten years in the practice of electrical engineering, of which not less than one year has been spent in an electrical or mechanical engineering workshop or in generation or transmission or distribution of electricity, or in the administration of the Act and rules thereunder, in a position of responsibility.
Electrical wing officers of the DoT, fulfilling the above eligibility requirements, are nominated as Electrical Inspector for Inspection/ Certification to ensure compliance of Electrical safety provisions, Lightning Protection, Aviation Light, Earthing in all the Telecom Electrical installations of BSNL/MTNL/C-DoT/DOP/DOT under the Ministry of Communications & Information Technology as per the provision of Central Electricity Authority (Measures relating to Safety and Electric Supply) Regulations, 2010.